Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy 2009!


When I was younger, a year felt like it lasted forever. Nowadays, time flies so fast that I wonder what happened. When you look at the headlines, you'd think 2008 was the worst year in history. It wasn't for me. Another year passed where my family was healthy, which is most important. I taught my youngest son how to read. I received several book contracts. I was able to take my boys to see The Wiggles in Canada, which is a big deal because we've been seeing their shows for 5+ years. I wrote a 50,000+ word novel in a month. 2008 was a good year, even though it went by so quick.

I know many people don't make New Year's resolutions, but I do. As I've gotten older, I've learned to keep them realistic and obtainable. I got an email this morning from Photojojo and it suggested to pick ONE resolution and make it FUN. If you make a long list of things you don't want to do, you probably won't do them. It makes sense to pick one thing and then do it. I did that when I first moved to Montana. I made a resolution to try XC skiing. I'm still not good at it, but I kept my resolution to try. I can think of a hundred things I should do, but it's easier to think of a couple of things I want to do. However, it's just too hard for me to pick only one ...

My Resolutions for 2009 --

  1. Go on a few snowshoe hikes this winter.
  2. Improve XC skiing skills.
  3. Get back on my treadmill routine.
  4. Start submitting my MG novel.
  5. Begin outline for sequel to MG novel.
  6. Follow some of Photojojo's great ideas, here.

And finally, New Year's Day wouldn't be complete without a picture of an old man and a baby, so here's me and my grandfather. At least I think it's me and hopefully not my sister. Regardless, it's an old man and a baby, so that's close enough.


I wish you all much happiness and success in the year 2009. God bless.

12 comments:

  1. Good Luck, Rena, and congratulations on your book contracts! May 2009 be your best year yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your resolutions.
    Have a great year!
    FLor

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you lots of success with your resolutions.That's good advice about picking just one resolution that you actually WANT to do,instead of my list this year,which is all things I know I SHOULD be doing,but will struggle with. Maybe I should revise that list...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, Rena! I love your advice on New Year's resolutions. I don't want to be overwhelmed thinking about what I should be doing.
    Good luck with yours - I hope it's a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, Rena! I like your picture version of the new year baby with the old man!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seeing that pic, all I can think of is, "Wow, strollers sure have changed."

    Leave it to me to notice the obscure and mundane, heh.

    But seriously, Happy New Year, Rena! Good luck with your resolutions. I have one lingering in my head, but I'm unsure if I'll go through with it at all.

    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photo Rena! (Had to laugh at Gale's comment about the stroller!)

    Good luck with the resolutions! I too have made some reasonable ones - well I thought they were until I broke one today already! oops. There is always next year!

    All the best for 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nora -- Thanks and good luck with your new novel. I hope you find a home for it soon.

    Flor -- Thanks and I hope you have a great year too.

    Leanne -- Thanks and I hope you're able to keep your resolutions as well.

    Adrienne -- Thanks and I hope 2009 is a great year for you as well. I really enjoy your blog. You always make me laugh.

    Kelly -- Thanks. You should have seen how bad this picture was before I messed with it in PhotoShop. It was really fuzzy and light. Now you can actually see it! It's amazing what that program can do, even for a dingdong like me who doesn't know how to use it.

    Gale -- I thought the same thing about the stroller. It's ancient, isn't it? If you think that's bad, you should see another pic of me in a baby carrier. I remember buying the same kind for my dolls when I was little. Maybe I'll post that pic sometime. It's pretty funny to see how flimsy the carrier was.

    Tracy -- You broke a resolution already? On the first day? Okay, now you gotta tell what it was! ;) I really wanted to get on my treadmill tonight, but I'm too stuffed from eating burritos. Tomorrrow!

    All of a sudden I'm hearing Annie singing, "Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I'll exercise, tomorrow! It's only a day away!" Bahahaha ...

    Thanks for your replies everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blog is so much fun! Great resolutions Rena, I hope you are able to get them all done. I had the same reaction when I saw the stroller too!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL Nancy -- well, I was born in 1965, so we're talking a long, long time ago as far as strollers go. I was only barefoot here because I had to use my feet to make it go. And thanks for your comment on my blog! I appreciate you and everyone else who takes the time to read and/or leave comments.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Waterloo Bridge is a good movie.

    I have always wanted to go XC skiing. I've been downhill skiing all my life and I'm still not good at it. I can waterski pretty well - but then, I'm not going down waterfalls either ;)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that sounds like an attainable list. Good luck to you! have a very happy 2009! :)

    ReplyDelete