Thursday, April 2, 2009

April Showers ...


April showers, bring May flowers -- or so the saying goes. As I sit here on my bed, I'm not seeing any April showers just yet. Instead, I'm watching the snow gently fall and a white-tailed deer grazing on the hillside behind my house. It doesn't look much like spring, but I don't mind. Spring and summer will be here soon enough and all this snow only means that we'll be seeing some awesome waterfalls soon. Glacier National Park has amazing waterfalls. At one place there can be as much as 60 feet of snow in the winter. This makes for great waterfalls come spring and summer. But so far, our April showers are snow showers.

As much as I love the snow, I love it when it rains also. Rain was all we got where I lived in Southern California. I loved lying in bed listening to the rain, going shopping when it was raining, or driving around watching the river and creeks rise during big storms. On my iPod I like to make playlists of songs that follow a specific theme. One of those is called RAIN and I have about 45 songs on it that relate to the rain. Some of my favorites include --

  • Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain -- Elvis
  • Early Morning Rain -- Elvis
  • I Can See Clearly Now -- Johnny Nash
  • I Love It When It Rains -- The Wiggles
  • I Wish I Were The Rain -- SHeDAISY
  • It's Raining Men -- The Weather Girls
  • Kentucky Rain -- Elvis
  • Love, Reign O're Me -- The Who
  • Outside The Rain -- Stevie Nicks
  • Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head -- BJ Thomas
  • Rhythm of the Rain -- The Cascades
  • Stormy Weather -- The Spaniels
  • Who'll Stop The Rain -- Creedence Clearwater
  • It Never Rains In Southern CA -- Albert Hammond
  • Rain -- The Cult

These are just a few of the songs on my list, obviously. When I was growing up, I loved the songs Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head and It Never Rains In Southern California. If you think about it, there are a lot of great songs about the rain. This video clip below (also on my playlist) has to be one of the greatest songs ever written about the rain ...



So, how about you -- what's your favorite song about the rain?

14 comments:

  1. I love waterfalls and we get more than our share of rain in PO.

    I used to want to go to Indianapolis when I was a kid 'cause "God didn't make little green apples and it don't rain in Indianapolis . . . in the summertime."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rena I love a dreary rainy day! Sleeping in when it's dreary and rainy is the best. I love the snow too! I didn't think there was someone else like me when it comes to the weather. Don't get me wrong a love a nice sunny day too, but there is something cozy about a rainy day. We are suppose to have a rainy weekend and I'm actually looking forward to it. My hubby doesn't get me when it comes to the weather.
    Great video! I love this song!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the movie singing in the rain. I could watch it over and over again!

    p.s. I love all your lists! I imagine that the inside of your mind must look like an organized filing cabinet! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Led Zeppelin's Rain Song!

    But seriously, I rarely listen to music in the rain. It's such a rare treat that all I want to do is braise meats, curl up with a good book and listen to the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain, telling me just what a fool I've been...
    I grew up on that type of music and it is still my favourite.

    Glad you are enjoying your snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely LOVE Singing in the Rain. Love Gene Kelly.

    So many wonderful songs:
    Rain - Beatles
    Fire and Rain - James Taylor
    Hard Rain's Gonna Fall - Bob Dylan
    Come Rain or Come Shine - Rosemary Clooney
    Stormy Weather - Ella Fitzgerald
    Manolin Rain - Bruce Hornsby
    Over the Rainbow...

    Now...if it would only rain here I'd go outside and dance naked on the lawn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rainy days are my most favorite days. I like most of the songs everyone has listed. I love that Gene Kelly video, he was an amazing dancer and made it look SO easy and effortless.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Singin' in the Rain! Thanks for the video!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great songs everyone! A lot of the ones you listed are on my playlist also. I'm always on the lookout for more -- :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute photo!

    I love Jimmy Cliff's version of "I Can See Clearly Now" and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. Those are my cheery rain songs :^)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love running in the rain, warm rain. The best is right before a huge thunderstorm. The air is so charged with energy. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gene Kelly absolutely oozes grace. I could watch him all day! Love the clip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Drivecrank.com offers florida Defensive Driving Florida professional driving school, online drivers education Defensive Driving online Miami,online Defensive Driving Orlando, online defensive driving courses.

    ReplyDelete