Monday, April 20, 2009

Violet Raines


Have you almost been struck by lightning? Eleven-year-old Violet Raines has, in more ways than one. And when she’s not dodging lightning or outrunning alligators, she’s trying to keep the prissy new girl from stealing her best friends.

I just finished reading Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning by Danette Haworth and I absolutely loved it! I bought this book months ago, after getting to know Danette a little through her blog and a message board. The book is written for kids ages 9-12 years, so I realize I'm not the target audience for it, but I really enjoyed it. The story immediately took me back to my youth -- back to pre-adolescence, not understanding why I felt the way I did, not enjoying new things, and not liking what was changing around me. The characters drew me in instantly. I liked the ones that were likable, I loved the ones that were lovable, and I disliked the ones that were dislikeable. My only disappointment was that last page -- I wanted MORE!

Isn't that how a good book should be?

14 comments:

  1. It sounds like a good book, Rena! I'll have to check it out. I love to read kid's books. I still re-read the Ramona Quimby books. I loved those books when I was a kid. My two older boys and I absolutely love to read the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. I guess I never grew up when it comes to reading.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good book Rena - thanks for the review.

    I am an avid reader and the best books are the ones you immediately want to read again! Or hope for a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would probably like this one. Thanks for the review. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely going to get ahold of this book. Thanks.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great recommendation! I've been tempted to pick this up a few times!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have added it to every growing "to read" list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Thanks for a great review. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. That IS how a good book should be. Thanks for the heads up - I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to read this book. I have it on library order...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this book!!! I've read it and shared it with my nieces and my friend's little girls...they loved it as much as I did...I was such a hip aunt there for awhile...grin...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm adding it to my list, too--sounds great. I love middle grade fiction.

    ReplyDelete