Friday, October 9, 2009

No Bones About It!


I do a lot of themed weeks for school each year and right now we're doing Skeleton Week. My boys aren't into super scary stuff, but like me, they like the basic stuff for Halloween. We have done a some crafts this week that they've enjoyed. I thought I'd share a few with you as well as the links where to find them. The best part is that they both use materials you probably have in the house. The first is a Q-Tip Skeleton and the boys had a blast with this. This is such an easy craft that really young kids can do. As you can see, Neil made his holding a coffee cup saying, "I hate mornings!" Nathan's skeleton has a ballcap on, which is sort of 3D with the rim sticking out. For some weird reason he wrote, "I'm on vacation with National Lampoon!" on his. I try to let them be creative on their own, but they throw me sometimes. Mine is in the middle and I tried to make it like the one on the link. Gluing the Q-Tips was really easy. I just put a glob of glue on a scrap of paper and let the boys dip the ends into it. After we finished, I thought it would be fun to make a Jack Skelleton or even a pirate skeleton.


The next one is a Packing Peanut Skeleton. This one was fun because there's a video to go with it and the kids can watch a crazy lady dressed like a devil make her skeleton first. We did this one yesterday, only to realize we had the wrong kind of packing peanuts -- oops! The project used the flatter, 8-shaped foam peanuts. I only had the curly, Styrofoam ones, so I cut them in half so they wouldn't stick up as much. It worked fine and we liked the results. Again, mine is in the middle and I tried to do what they did on the link, but it looks more like General Grievous than a skeleton. I don't always do the crafts with the boys, but these were fun. And like I said, both of these projects are simple enough for little ones. Today we're making Mr. Bottle Bones from Family Fun Magazine. The girls made this one years ago, but he eventually fell apart. The boys and I have been saving milk containers for weeks to make another one. We've also made skeletons from paper plates and pipe cleaners, so it's been an interesting week.

9 comments:

  1. Those are so cute! I'm going to have my kids make some Qtip skeletons!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cute crafts, Rena! My kids would really like to make these. I think you gave me an excellent idea for our day off on Monday :)
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Q-tips... who would have thought? Great idea.

    We save a lot of things around our house for school use and for family fun. I have dozens of egg cartons that the littlest ones use like building blocks to create towers they can knock down.

    For me, I use those and the tubes from anything as the armatures for huge paper mache creations.

    I am off now to gather those Q-tips and have some scary fun! Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I wish I was as crafty as you. I just don't have a crafty bone in my body. Very cute ideas,I'm sure Neil and Nathan enjoyed doing those. I just might do the Q tips one with my boys!

    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I had kids I'd be doing stuff like this.
    And...
    I've always wondered who makes up these crafts? Are people paid to sit around in a room loaded with stuff and brain-storm? Is there a crafters think-tank? Would I love to work there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, those are so cute!!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea and I am going to do it today or tomorrow with Mathias!
    OK I have an empty box of Quaker Oatmeal. Other then a drumn what can I do with it that 5 year old boys will love?
    Today I had 2 of the boys that are 5 and they played so hard. At one point they were eating *beaver tail* I had to laugh when I heard that and thought ewwwwwww.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made one last night to try it and was going to have the two boys make theirs today. They found it more fun to run around the house then do crafts. Mathias was getting ready to do his when his Mom came early. We will be making his tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete