Friday, December 18, 2009

Robble, robble ...


Robble, robble? Yeah ... robble, robble! No, I haven't lost it, not yet. Does anyone remember this guy? I don't mean the Hamburgler in general, but this specific doll. I came across this guy the other night while looking at vintage dolls on eBay. I remember begging my mom for this doll when he came out during a McDonald's promotion. I'm not sure why, but I loved this silly thing. Just seeing the picture here brings back memories of me asking for him and pulling him out of the plastic bag he was in. McDonald's had the other characters as well, but I only remember getting the Hamburgler. I know my MIL has Ronald in her playroom, but I've never seen this one. Had I seen him, he'd be with me now! I might have to ask her though, just to be sure ...

Some of you might be too young to remember McDonaldland. There was a slew of characters that were used to promote McDonald's. They also used the characters as part of the playgrounds at various restuarants. The clown, Ronald McDonald is probably the best known, but there was also the Grimace, the Fry Kids, Mayor McCheese, Officer Big Mac, Birdie the Early Bird, and the Hamburgler. Later, in the 1980s, there was a series called the McNugget Buddies. We actually have some things left over from the McNugget Buddies, including some holiday plates and Halloween toys.

However, the Hamburgler was always my favorite as a kid. He ran around stealing hamburgers saying, "Robble, robble." I don't remember the show The Wacky Adventures of Ronald McDonald, which started in live action and then went into animation, but I do remember the live action commercials. Hamburgler was my favorite. The whole McDonaldland thing ended after a lawsuit in 1977 by Sid & Marty Krofft, in which McD's had to pay a million dollars. Regardless of all that, I really loved this stuffed Hamburgler as a kid. I'm not sure why, but I did. Maybe one of these days I can buy one on eBay to add to my childhood memories shelf downstairs. That would be really cool. Or as the Hamburgler would say ... robble, robble!

Oh, one more thing -- I forgot to mention yesterday that I got my MRA results back and it's good news. The suspected bulge hasn't gotten any larger. They can still see it, but now they are thinking it might not be an actual aneurysm after all. This isn't news to me because it was in question the first time I had the scan in 2004. But the good news is that it's not getting any bigger. My doctor still suggests I get it checked out every couple of years, just to make sure it doesn't turn into something else. So, that's good! The other good news is that Nicole comes home tomorrow. She's so excited about coming home, and we're really looking forward to having her here for her 5-week break. Well, I'm off to get ready for a dentist appointment. I have an old crown that needs to be replaced. Oh joy, lucky me ...

6 comments:

  1. That is a lot of good news!!! So glad to hear it. Plus it's always nice to have the kids home for the holidays.

    And, I don't remember that toy but it looks vaguely familiar-maybe from a t.v. commercial back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear the GOOD NEWS. That is a wonderful Christmas present for you and your family.

    As for the toy...was never much of a McDonald's fan....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rena,

    What wonderful news! Here's to your health and your daughter coming home!

    BTW: The Hamburgler always creeped me out!

    xoxo -- Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grimace! Wow what a memory from childhood! I did not know they were sued!

    SO GLAD you received good news on your test, Rena!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news from the doctor Rena!

    We have a ton of McD's toys - though mostly from hubby's childhood then mine. (His mom is a packrat who throws out nothing where mine is a minimalist as in "if it is not nailed down - toss it!"

    I hadn't heard about the lawsuit - that was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember that character. I always like the Hamburgler. It's fun to think of them again.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete