Saturday, September 25, 2010

National One-Hit Wonder Day


Do you have a favorite one-hit wonder? I have tons actually, so it would be hard for me to single out just one. Since September 25th is National One-Hit Wonder Day, I've decided to break it down and list some by decades from the 1950s to 1990s. Here are some favorites ...

1950s
"Sh-boom" by The Chords
"Earth Angel" by The Penguins
"The Book of Love" by The Monotones
"Get A Job" by The Silhouettes
"Purple People Eater" by Sheb Wooley

1960s
"Alley-Oop" by The Hollywood Argyles
"Rhythm of the Rain" by The Cascades
"Pipeline" by The Chantays
"Hippy Hippy Shake" by The Swinging Blue Jeans
"Double Shot of My Baby's Love" by The Swinging Medallions
"Green Tamborine" by Lemon Pipers
"Judy In Disguise with Glasses" by John Fred & His Playboy Band
"In The Year 2525" by Zager & Evans

1970s
"Mississippi Queen" by Mountain
"All Right Now" by Free
"Hold Your Head Up" by Argent
"Bang A Gong" by T-Rex
"Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks
"The Night Chicago Died" by Paper Lace
"Hooked on a Feeling" by Blue Swede
"Magic" by Pilot
"The Hustle" by Van McCoy
"Because The Night" by Patti Smith Group
"King Tut" by Steve Martin
"Pop Musik" by M
"Cruel to be Kind" by Nick Lowe

1980s
"Funkytown" by Lipps, Inc.
"Cars" by Gary Newman
"Turning Japanese" by The Vapors
"I Want Candy" by Bow Wow Wow
"Tainted Love" by Soft Cell
"Mexican Radio" by Wall of Voodoo
"Putting on the Ritz" by Taco
"Der Kommisser" by After The Fire
"Beds Are Burning" by Midnight Oil
"I Melt With You" by Modern English

1990s
"I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred
"Macarena" by Los Del Rio
"Blue Da Ba Dee" by Efiel 65
"You Get What You Give" by New Radicals
"Mambo #5" by Lou Bega

Like I said, its impossible to pick just one. A lot of these songs I have on playlists, so I listen to them pretty often. "Blue Da Ba Dee" is the one I've been listening to a lot lately. Do you have any favorites?

6 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh...the '50s & '60s...those were the days. And the music...out of sight. Thanks for the memories.
    I’ve enjoyed looking over your blog. I came across it through another blog I follow. I have signed up as a follower of yours as well. Feel free to look over my blog and perhaps become a follower of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...and I loved your story of the buck. Pretty scary being that close to a kill. Be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thanks for the trip back in time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love your one hit wonders list...especially the 80's. LOVE LOVE LOVE Tainted Love!! :)

    Happy Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww. I love "You Get What You Give" too! A TOTAL fave!

    ReplyDelete