Saturday, December 18, 2010

Handmade Gifts


Do you make handmade gifts? I wish I were more crafty. I mean, I do stuff with the boys all the time, but that usually involves construction paper, google eyes, and glue sticks. I've been saying it for years, but I really wish I knew how to knit or crochet. My mom used to knit and I'd watch her for hours. She would let me pick out a yarn and then would knit me sweaters. As as kid, I would usually pick out some wild color like hot pink.

Rick brought home these dishtowels the other day. One of his co-worker's wife makes them and brings a bunch into the office for people. How sweet is that! The golden/olive one we got last year and then this year Rick brought home three of the burgundy/grapes ones, which match the colors in our house perfectly.

I wish I could do stuff like this. Maybe 2011 will be the year I decide to buy a book or a kit and teach myself how to knit. My little Mattel Knit Magic machine from the 70s is fun, but just doesn't quite cut it. I'd love to be able to make a gift like these towels that people would like to have and use.

How about you -- are you making any gifts this Christmas?

1 comment:

  1. I can sew, craft and quilt a little, but, I wish I could knit, too. I haven't made any gifts this year (except for my Christmas frog that I made for a friend), but I have before. I love making and receiving homemade gifts.

    ReplyDelete